Notebook using printed toilet roll & kitchen towel ...

Yep, the title of my post says it all! Last week over on the 'Love to Create' challenge blog, I shared a top tip about how to print on to different media to use in our mixed media projects. Full details can be found HERE.


Taking my printed toilet roll and kitchen towel ...


plus I dusted off my very neglected 'Bind It All', I created a notebook ...


For this project I have used the Belle Papillion collection and also corresponding stamp sets. I began by covering my grey board - back & front - with kraft paper. Once dry, I started adding layers of the printed kitchen towel first with matt gel medium. I roughly cut around the rose images and added them too.


Next I added my postcard images, (which had also been printed on to kitchen towel), and added them to the front, overlapping each one. These too were kept in place with matt gel medium. Whilst the cover was still tacky, I add gilding flakes randomly rubbing them in to place with my finger. At this point I just wanted to get on with the stamping, so blasted the cover with my heat tool. Using a selection of stamps from Belle Papillion and Bella Fleur stamp sets, I added extra detail which helps to soften all the edges.


As is the way with me, I began to faff ...! I felt the project now looked a little 'flat' which I know for a notebook it should be, but as I had spent the time blending all the edges etc, the flatness was because of this. Does that make sense? With a stencil and Nuvo mousse, I added some extra textural details. Once this was dry, I sanded back this layer to take the shine away.


I also decorated the inside cover using the same elements but added some jounaling cards for a place to write extra notes or to use to split up the notebooks use. At present the back cover has yet to be decorated as another idea leaped forward and I think I'm going go with it ... so watch this space ...!



If you get the chance, pop over to the 'Love 2 Create' Challenge blog and check out the other fabulous projects created by the team. I've a 'play' day today as have written down loads of ideas I want to do and now need to make a start before I either forget about them, or alternatively get distracted.

Have a great day everyone but think you might need to wrap up warm as does feel a little chilly out there,

Lou
x x x

Products & links:



I'd like to enter my notebook in to the following challenges:
Crafty Calendar - autumn colours
Crazy for challenges - anything goes
Hiding in my craft room - fall colours
Mix It Up - anything goes + stencilling
Rhedd's Creative Spirit - anything mixed media goes
Crafting with friends - anything goes
Creative Artiste - anything mixed media
Polkadoodles - anything goes

Comments

KarinsArtScrap said…
it looks shabby chic Lou
Gr Karin
Jackie T said…
Hi Lou this is a stunning project I love it. Take care. Hugs Jackie
Chris said…
Your notebook looks amazing! Some great techniques used here. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Calendar.
Chris
x
Jane Royston said…
What a fab notebook! Love how you have used your own decorated toilet roll, and the colours and layers are built up beautifully. Thank you for joining us this month at Creative Artiste, Jane (DT) :) x http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk
Sandra Wright. said…
A beautiful cover for your note book. I love how you created it using kitchen roll...
Thank you so much for joining in with this months challenge at Rhedd's Creative Spirit..x
Unknown said…
Such a stunning project Lou, such a clever technique too. Thank you for the dies, they are fabulous. Cathy x
So pretty and lovely textures!Thanks for sharing this with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month.Good Luck, Rupa.
Crafting Belle said…
Love the tissue paper printing and it's resulted in a beautiful notebook. Thank you for joining us for our 'Anything Goes' Challenge at Polkadoodles. Hugs Lisa xxx
Anjie said…
AMAZING make Lou. Thanks for joining us in our Anything Goes challenge at Polkadoodles
Anjie (DT)
I had a chuckle when i saw you had neglected your bind it all as I have done just that - perhaps I have been inspired to dust mine off too. Love your notebook just beautiful.Thank you for joining in with us over at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month and hope to see you in future challenges
DT - Rhedd's Creative Spirit
Mother Hen - Eclectic Ellapu
Mother Hen - Altered Eclectic
Personal Blog - Handcrafted by Ellapu
Ina G said…
This is one beautifully made Journal Cover Louise and Thanks for the link to see how you made your papers. But wait there's more - you have made it into a Notebook - more stunning pages. Lots of work gone into this and so glad you shared with us at Mix It Up this month. thank You so much.